Individual Tax Information

When to complete an individual income tax return
You are required to complete a return if…

Between the 1st January and 31st December of any income year you received income from any of the following:

  • Employment
  • Interest
  • Overseas sources
  • Rents
  • Self-employment
  • Estates or trusts
  • Partnerships
  • Buying and selling shares
  • Royalties
  • Cash jobs or payments made ‘under the table’
  • Bartering
  • An illegal activity.
Filing dates for returns

If you have received income from any of the above sources you must fill in and send to the Inland Revenue an individual income tax return. Send your return into the Inland Revenue by either:

  • 31st January following the income year the income was received if your whole income was from employment; or
  • 31st March following the income year the income was received if part or all of your income was from any source other than from employment.
Penalty for non-filing
If you have to fill in a return and don’t send us one, or send it late, you may be charged a late filing penalty – unless you get an extension of time and have a valid reason for not filing on time. 
The penalty for not filing your individual income tax return on time is a sum not exceeding $2,000 and in default of payment, imprisonment for a term not exceeding four months.  
If you need an extension to your tax return filing date tell Inland Revenue your reasons before your return is due.  If you get a late filing penalty before applying for an extension the penalty will stand.
  • If you were away from Montserrat for a total of at least 183 days in any 12-month period and do not have a permanent place of abode in Montserrat you may be a non-resident for tax purposes. If this is the situation you will need to contact Inland Revenue for a determination to be made on your tax residency status.
  • If you became a tax resident of Montserrat during the year you have to complete an individual income tax return and make a list showing your income earned for the whole income year. Show your income earned in Montserrat as required in questions 4 to 8 and your income earned overseas as a non-resident at question 6.
Balance date

Use this guide if your income year is the standard 1st January to 31st December. If you have a different balance date, work out you income and expenses for your income year.

No tax return required

If you don’t have to fill in a return and decide not to send a return showing that you had nil income let the Inland Revenue know. You can either phone or write to the Inland Revenue.